Tea December

'The situation is like the joints in a piece of bamboo: if one joint is ruptured, then all the joints will split.'

I have been doing my best to imbibe this spirit for quite a while, and I sit to write this post with a balance of gratitude and determination. After nineteen months of living precariously, in December (provided everyone pays up) I would have for the first time sustained myself and my family through my earnings as a writer. I entirely write what I am driven to (which rules out a lot of stuff), and for me, this is a big achievement. If there is one thing that has made it possible, it is the faith, patience, strength, support and love of my family.


There have been several breakthroughs in terms of blogging and writing, most of which I have shared with you here. These include blogging awards, traffic milestones, and of course, extremely heartening interactions with fellow bloggers. For those who are chancing upon this blog for the first time, you might enjoy my "Greatest Hits of 2012" post that I did recently. Back to the subject of this post.

In December, I witnessed the fruition of eight long years of planning to share my love for fine tea with the world. This is the first step towards my dream of – some would call it true welfare state, others would call it world peace and happiness – let’s say, humanity. It is, for those who have missed on my babble on this earlier, an online curated catalog of premium tea. It is the finest tea that you can lay your hands on, and this is just the beginning.


Premium tea

The entire operation is green. It is brown, metabrown actually, but the kind of brown that is green. The business goal is to get you to drink fine tea and become healthier and happier and to encourage the culture of growing and making tea. The site is scheduled for a January 14, 2013 launch.

The small group who made this possible – we are terribly excited, like little children really, about some of the thinking that we realize we can make real as we go forward. You know that I will be sharing the revolution right here, on Subho’s Jejune Diet. So don’t go away. Here is a sneak peek at the logo till then.

http://www.blendoftea.com

December saw me out there in the public as a digital graphic artist, with a cover design, and some graphics work for the tea project. I wanted to share this primarily because I work almost entirely with basic and free tools rather than powerful professional equipment and apps. I use a compact camera, the lightest and the most basic Irfanview for painting (it is free and comes with a Paint type of toolbar too). Some of you might have noticed my recent photography showing up as a cross between vintage and lomo; well, it is deliberate, and maybe someday I will grow out of it. Here is the book cover I designed for the first volume of my mother’s autobiography.


December also saw some of the finest minds I know agreeing to write on Subho’s Jejune Diet, people that I have looked up to for the quality of work they do and their dedication to it. I had made a very brief list of three or four people that I would love to have my readers read, and on one weekend, sent out a note to each of them. I was mistaken in my cynicism. I know you will love the experience of reading them here.

In December, the hand-holding period of a social experiment in jazz listening came to an end, and the movement now becomes a truly organic one. The Hyderabad Western Music Appreciation Forum is a group of jazz and western classical listeners and learners who have been meeting every alternate Sunday to share annotated playlists aimed at new listeners. While the “listening posts” have been moderated by Pratap Antony and Joe Koster, now it is in the realm of the users. If you are a jazz or classical lover in Hyderabad, you need to check this group out if you are not already aware of them.

Hyderabad Western Music Appreciation Forum
Photograph by Joe Koster

There has also been a poetry group, with an agenda that is presently slightly haiku-centric, shaping up with the exuberance of the spirited Linda Ashok. This is one of the several literary groups that are coalescing in Hyderabad with the growing awareness of their existence. If you like poetry, especially Haiku, you might want to look up the facebook page for the group.

Potpourri Poetry Group Hyderabad
Photograph by Basabdatta Talukdar

So that is what my year end looks like. What is not so apparent perhaps is the fact that each step of the way was a step of victory, some I could recognize then, some others I recognize now, and I am sure there are those that I do not yet recognize. How has your year end been? What are your resolutions going forward? Do let us know. Thank you for reading me, because it is your reading that makes me try and improve my being. Thank you for changing the world with every action, word and thought of yours. In 2013, may our intent for a more compassionate world manifest in each of our lives.

20 comments:

  1. It had been a year of challenges and the resultant learning for which I am truely grateful on this last day of the year.Learnt a lot from your blog .hope that your dream of world peace and happiness of humanity through Tea . drinking tea can really be a meditative experience . As I write subho Ihave a small glass of tea by me which i am sipping from time to time and feeling close to you . I really liked the example of the bamboo.Wish you a very satisfactory and happy 2013. Liked your logo a lot Love unlimited .
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma. I am all that I am because of you guys. For that I am eternally grateful to you and Bapi.

      Delete
  2. Wow,you have eclectic tastes. It is heartening to read about so many things that you are dabbling in. Also really nice to know how your writing career has flourished. Wish you many more successes both as a writer and as a person in this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachna. May 2013 be a great year for all of us.

      Delete
  3. It was a great leap--to depend entirely on your writings.You are a superb writer & it is no surprise you succeeded.Congratulations & all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great leap, one made possible by equal amounts of idealism and naivete, but it has been a journey where I do not regret a single step. Thanks for your good wishes, Indu.

      Delete
  4. Nice. Wish you a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TF. Wish you all the best too, especially with your new writing project!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Great!! Wish you all the best Subho:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you many happy and proud milestones with your writing! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meenakshi. I rediscovered your blog, and though I am not a very Haiku person, it was a treat.

      Delete
  7. you indeed r a gr8 writer , wish u all the best Subho !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alka. It is huge to see this comment.

      Delete
  8. It is heartwarming to read this post. May you continue to succeed in your chosen fields, and write about it too. A belated Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pattu. My motivation comes from seeing people like you dedicating your time and energy to creating value for others. Thank you for being you.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, man. And B of L for your social experiment too! :)

      Delete
  10. Great..All the best Subho..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nagini. It is wonderful to see comments on this post by some of the older followers of this blog. Kind of reaffirms what I am trying to do. Thank you for your love and support.

      Delete

Dialog is the path to peace, and this blog is all about dialog, peace and love. Go ahead and join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...