Janis - Just Another Word

"Onstage, I make love to 25,000 people - then I go home alone." - Janis Joplin

Somewhere in the dust raised by the launch of the iPhone 4S and the death of Steve Jobs, the death anniversary of Janis Joplin (January 19, 1943 – October 4, 1970) snuck up and crept past quietly. Janis died of a heroin overdose 41 years back and hopefully went on to find what she sought but never found in her lifetime.

My first exposure to the music of Janis was as a kid at Trincas in Kolkata on nights they’d allow kids in, while Pam Crain sang Move Over and Summertime, and then as a teenager listening to Anjum Katyal at Calcuta School of Music with Nondon Bagchi and friends singing Cry, Cry Baby. I was curious to hear what these gut wrenching renditions sounded like in the original. Woodstock on a Sunday morning at Metro was the first time I saw and heard her. It was part of a much more overwhelming experience but it remained etched in my mind, and my friends and I set out looking for the music of Janis Joplin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dialog is the path to peace, and this blog is all about dialog, peace and love. Go ahead and join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...