Spinach Thing

Getting a balanced intake has always been a challenge for me, given my laziness and my inclination towards omelet-rice-ghee or fried eggs and toast fixes.  Even my favorite of crispy okras sometimes feels like too much work.  So it was that I discovered this easy spinach recipe.  Enjoy the K.

Spinach - 5 bunches (150-200 g clean leaves)
Oil - 1-1/2 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chili - 1 large, broken into 1-cm long pieces
Green Chili - 1 chopped very fine
Garlic - 5 cloves ground to a paste
Onion - 1 large ground to a paste
Onion - 1 small sliced fine
Salt - 1/4 tsp or to taste

 spinach
1. Wash my destemmed spinach well in several changes of water, letting it stand for a few minutes each time to let the soil particles sink to the bottom.  For the fanatical, wash in water with a dash of potassium permanganate.   Pat dry. Chop into half inch wide strips.
2.  Mix evenly my onion paste, garlic paste and my green chili.
3. Heat oil.  Add mustard seeds.  Add dry red chili pieces.  Reduce heat to sim.  Splutter.  Add sliced onion.  Stir till translucent.  Add salt.  Increase heat to high.
4.  Add my spinach.  Stir till wilted.  Ensure that the spices and spinach are evenly mixed.  Add my onion, garlic, green chili paste.  Mix evenly.  Reduce heat to sim.
5.  Cook on low heat for 5 min stirring once or twice.  Cook till desired consistency, can range from pasty to green leafy dry.
6.  Serve with rice.  Oh my!!


Note:  I love the garlic in this, but for those not so fond of it, you can reduce the garlic to 3 cloves.  I have a rule of thumb for how much garlic is right for a recipe.  Look at the rest of the ingredients and decide how much garlic you will need.  Once you have decided, throw in a few cloves more.  If serving with continental food, replace the dry chili with coarsely crushed black pepper added with the sliced onions.

1 comment:

  1. Greens, and you call yourself lazy? My gran used to wash grapes in potassium permanganate. Thanks for visiting my blog, glad to discover yours.

    ReplyDelete

Dialog is the path to peace, and this blog is all about dialog, peace and love. Go ahead and join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...